How Young Engineers Uganda shaping Future Leaders in STEM Education
November 30, 2023
All set for the Uganda Marketing Excellence Awards at the Kampala Serena Hotel this Friday
November 30, 2023
Show all

Sustainability: Housing Finance Bank Donates Waste Bins To Gayaza High School

In a demonstration of the Bank’s responsibility towards achieving a green and sustainable Uganda, Housing Finance Bank donated ten waste-bins to Gayaza High School to support responsible solid and plastic waste management practices and foster a culture of sustainability among the school’s students and staff.

The bins, handed over by the Executive Director, Ms. Peace Ayebazibwe, and the Head of Business and Institutional Banking, Ms. Angela Ndawula to the Head Teacher of Gayaza High School, Ms. Robinah Kizito, marked a proactive step by the Bank on the back of its recent receipt of the Certificate of Acceptance to the Sustainability Standards and Certification Initiative (SSCI) during the 10th Global Sustainable Finance Conference recently held in Karlsruhe, Germany.

The donation, following a similar hand-over to Hoima City earlier this year, comes at a time when the National Environmental Management Authority (NEMA) highlights that plastic makes up the majority of the over 600 tonnes produced in the country every day. Unfortunately, only 40% of this waste is collected and disposed of properly, with the remaining 60% finding its way into the environment, leading to pollution and health issues.

Expressing gratitude to Gayaza School for its pivotal role in nurturing future leaders, Ms. Peace Ayebazibwe affirmed the bank’s unwavering commitment to supporting the institution in its noble pursuits. She emphasized the importance of financial discipline and encouraged students to embrace a culture of fiscal responsibility.

“As part of Housing Finance Bank’s sustainability agenda, we aim to support communities we serve by enabling home ownership and financial independence. However, we shall only attain this by taking care of our environment, young people, and local businesses to ensure a sustainable future. And these bins are a sign of our commitment to the environmental cause that will keep this institution clean and free of plastic. I encourage you to embrace recycling so that these non-decomposables can be used in limitless innovative projects that create cashflows for the school.”

During her address, Angela Ndawula, the Head of Business and Institutional Banking at Housing Finance Bank, not only encouraged students to stay focused on their studies but also wished students success in their upcoming examinations. Angela’s remarks aimed to inspire confidence, emphasizing the transformative power of education, and sharing insights on resilience and perseverance.

Gayaza High School, renowned for its commitment to excellence in education, welcomed this collaborative effort with Housing Finance Bank with the Head Teacher, Ms. Robinah Kizito, sincerely appreciating and recognising Housing Finance Bank for its investment not only in profitability but also in impacting the community’s betterment.

As Housing Finance Bank continues leading efforts towards a more sustainable future, engaging in partnerships that prioritize environmental conservation and community development advances its purpose of enabling sustainable home ownership and financial independence and contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals specifically – good health and well-being (Goal 3), clean water and sanitation(Goal 6), and sustainable cities and communities (Goal 11).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *